Monday, September 28, 2009

I am now several labs/weeks into my Principles of Chemistry lab, and am loving every minute of it. I have made two A's and B thus far, and am very pleased. I have also discovered that teachers are more likely to be easy on the sweet innocent looking little girl than the boy. You say "how do you know?"
Well we were doing a lab requiring crucibles (a small porcelain 'bowl' with a porcelain cover). During the course of this lab several crucibles (about ten, no joke) were broken. Our professor understandably was getting more and more frustrated. He finally told us that the next person to break a crucible was going to get points taken off.
The next week we were doing another lab involving crucibles. This time I broke ours (My partner's and mine) while my partner had left the room. I didn't know what to do; tell the professor now, or wait until my lab partner show'd up again and ask him to tell. I took so long deciding however, that my partner came back before I was quite decided. So I went ahead and asked him. He told me to tell Dr. G because I looked more innocent. I thought "Ri-ight." However, if he didn't want to do what I knew I should do anyway than that was more than just fine.
So I went over to our professor, Dr. G , and told him what had happened. He asked me to show him where the mess was, so I did. My lab partner was sitting there, rather innocently I might add, when we walked over. The first thing my professor proceeded to do was berate my partner for messing up. He tried (unsuccessfully) to tell Dr. G what had actually happened. I stepped in and said "no, no, it was all me. He had nothing to do with it."
The immediate change in the man was astounding, to say the least. He said, "Oh, don't worry about it. I will have this cleaned up. Wait right here and let me get you a new crucible. Don't worry." True to his word the mess was gone in seconds and a replacement crucible was at our station in minutes.
I'd say being 5''1 does have some merits, not to mention looking like you're two years younger than your classmates. I will never complain again........except when I want the book on the top shelf at the library and have to ask someone to reach it for me.

1 comment:

  1. i wanted to let you know that i really enjoyed reading your lyrics you posted on my page the other day :)
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete